Photographing architecture, interiors and commercial spaces is very different to other types of image creation, presenting a different set of challenges, but being able to provide high quality pleasing images for my clients is very satisfying.
For Architectural & Interior Design photography, the value and impact that a well composed and finished photograph can add to a professional portfolio or advertisement is significant. Whether the image is of a completely re-designed or re-furnished home, office or other space, a detail of a single piece or other item, the benefit in being able to showcase it in the best way and bring impact to your clients is invaluable. In general Architectural photography clients desire a one-point perspective much more than the two-point perspective that is more common in RE photography. Architectural compositions are about implying features of the home or space and not crafting overt visual diagrams.
Commercial imagery is everywhere these days, so having the best quality images available for the promotion of your business or brand is of paramount importance. Whether you need images for advertising, brochures, or to use on a website, please get in touch with your requirements and we can discuss how I can help with your advertising and commercial photography.
In Real Estate images today, so many properties are advertised or displayed with poor quality photo's: out-of-focus images, badly lit scenes, over-exposed windows and unattractive angles and views are unfortunately quite commonplace. Using a professional photographer, who has the right equipment, the necessary skills and motivation to do the job well, ensures that your property will look its best. This in turn makes it easier for your prospective clients to see what the property really looks like, which can increase their enthusiasm for the property and lets them make a more informed decision about potential viewings or offers. While the photos themselves may not sell the listing for you, they will definitely attract the attention of more buyers who use online searches for a new property.
A selection of well-lit and properly exposed & composed photographs will always have more effect than a whole gallery of mediocre ones.
1) Contact: Firstly, and most importantly, inform me what your requirements and expectations are. Providing me with the address and property information will help in preparing and calculating any travel time needed, and also checking the weather forecasts for the relevant area. If the time frame allows, then arranging a pre-shoot walk-through of the property or site with the client is always useful, and besides helping to plan the shoot, can also serve to highlight any areas that need attention prior to the photography and any special requests.
2) Pricing: Due to varying requirements for clients and markets, I prefer to quote each job on an individual basis after listening to your brief and requirements, then I can give you a clear outline of what I can photograph and how many images can be supplied. I will be flexible and work with you to get you the images you need and that suit your budget.
(Deposits will be taken for Architectural, Commercial, Interior Design & Advertising (or similar) projects at a rate of 50% depending on size of project. This is not required for Real Estate commissions.)
3) Appointment: A suitable date and time will be arranged for the shoot to take place, along with an estimated cost if requested. If you are not available at the time of the shoot then feel free to arrange a representative to be present. If the property is unoccupied, you may choose to lend me the keys for access, whereupon they will be returned after the shoot.
4) The photo shoot: For Architectural, Interior Design and Commercial projects, images will be provided as per a pre-agreed 'shot-list' and the clients requirements. Timings can vary but the level of detail and precision required by architectural level shoots inherently dictates that these types of shoots can not be rushed.
5) Editing & Processing: Once the subject has been photographed the images are then examined for editing. The final selection of photographs will be processed and edited carefully on colour-calibrated monitors to ensure the most accurate images are provided. Normal turn-around time is 48-72 hours, as time spent on processing is usually similar to the time spent on the actual shoot, and is considered an extension of this. Straight-forward editing for exposure, colour balance, blemishes / spots, distortion etc is completed as standard all images.
Detailed and complex re-touching can be required for high-level Architectural/Commercial shoots, thus increasing the time spent editing each image. This will be quoted for and included in the estimated / billed amount.
6) Delivery: The finished images can be provided in various resolutions for printing and publishing, and also in a smaller web-friendly size for use on the internet or emailing; or as specified.
7) Licensing: For my Architectural / Interior Design and Commercial photography (e.g. which is for editorial purposes, promotion of a business, advertising, and/or future use etc) this is subject to agreed licence terms and further usage fees based on industry rates (AOP). Secondary licence fees are applicable for third party usage.
8) Copyright: The entire copyright in the Photographs is retained by the Photographer at all times throughout the world.
The Real Estate photography offered here is on the basis that the photographs are licenced to be used either personally OR for the marketing of a private property for sale/rent, and may be used freely for these purposes (until the property is sold/rented). Secondary licence fees are applicable for third party usage (e.g. when/if switching agents).
Prior to a photographic shoot there are certain steps that can be taken to enhance the presentation of a property.
This list was created for homes specifically, but the same principles can be applied to other types of property also:
• De-clutter! Remove fridge magnets, some personal pictures, posters from walls, ornaments, toys, paper work and items that may not be to everyone’s taste.
• Replace any light-bulbs that are not working and tidy away cables.
• Clean kitchen surfaces, floors, doors, air vents and windows.
• Arrange curtains and blinds in an appealing manner.
• Tidy bedrooms, dressing and bed-side tables to be de-cluttered, beds to be made. Use clean, crisp bedding in the bedrooms that are to be pictured with additional pillows, cushions.
• Lay your dining table with matching plates, glassware, cutlery.
• Fill the wine rack.
• If you have a separate breakfast area, perhaps you could present it for a coffee break with tea pot, cups, saucers, a plate of biscuits, sugar bowl and milk jug.
• Have fresh folded towels in your bathroom.
• Remove / hide as many toiletries and cleaning products as possible.
• Clean mirrors, stainless steel bathroom-ware and shower / bath doors.
• Fresh flowers and filled fruit bowls can be arranged to add points of interest and colour to pictures.
• Tidy the garden, cut grass, clean driveway, paths, pillars, garden wall or fence.
• Hide / put away bins, garden tools, clothes lines, hoses, toys and other such items.
COPYRIGHT © 2010-2018. The copyright (©) of all images remain the property of Niall Hastie.
Unless specifically agreed otherwise, Niall Hastie reserves the right to use all images for other uses including, but not restricted to, self-promotion, commercial and marketing purposes.
Please see the Terms & Conditions page for full details.